Right Reverend Monsignor Pedro López-Gallo, PA, JUD,
Right Reverend Monsignor Pedro López-Gallo, PA, JUD, was born in Guadalajara, Mexico on June 27, 1927, the 6th of 12 children. At a very young age he was influenced in his priestly vocation by the religious persecution happening in Mexico. At the tender age of 10, he left for Spain to enter the seminary. After 12 years, he returned to Mexico and was ordained on December 22, 1951.
In 1952 he went to Rome to study theology at the faculty of St. Thomas Aquinas. At the request of His Holiness Pope Pius XII, he remained in Rome and studied for Vatican Diplomatic Service. His studies in Canon Law and Civil Law led him to work in the various tribunals at the Vatican over the next 25 years. During this time, he served as Private Secretary to Cardinal Eugène Tisserant, Dean of the College of Cardinals, travelling with him all over the world. He accompanied Pope Paul VI on his travels to various countries, and was named a Prelate of Honor to His Holiness Pope John Paul II in September 1990, and Apostolic Prelate in 2001.
Monsignor Gallo was Episcopal Vicar of the Archdiocese of Vancouver from 1986-1990. He is co-Adjutor Prior of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, of which he, himself, has been a member for 40 years, Chaplain of the Knights of Columbus, and is one of the pastors responsible for St. Thomas Aquinas High School. He speaks and writes in several languages and his articles are published in the Studia Canonica, Monitor Ecclesiasticus and in the B.C. Catholic weekly newspaper.
In 1978, Monsignor Gallo was called by the late Archbishop James Carney to work in the Regional Tribunal of Vancouver, first as Vice-Officialis, and then as Judicial Vicar in 1983. In 1986, the shortage of priests led him to St. Pius X parish where he continues to be pastor. Monsignor Gallo was indefatigable in his mission to construct a parish elementary school, which finally opened in 1996, and the ‘Gate of Heaven’ Columbarium which was dedicated and blessed in 2007. His love of beauty is evident in the many works of art which grace the parish property, both inside the church and around the grounds, such as the grotto featuring Michelangelo’s Pieta, the Ecological Christ, the Baptismal Font, and the Altar of Repose flanked by two sculpted heavenly angels.